Her reasons are somewhat valid but it’s called sacrifice babes….
Megan Edwards, 22, split from the world’s fastest man after he flew her to Jamaica to meet his family. The down-to-earth accounts worker ­decided that the 4,600 miles between her and the smitten sprinter was too much to handle, and she wouldn’t be able to handle his globe-trotting lifestyle either.
Devastated Usain, 26, begged her to change her mind, but Megan revealed: “In the end I had to let my head rule my heart. It was amazing out there, but that’s where I decided it couldn’t go on. He was talking about having to fly here and there and I was going back to my office job. So when I got home I rang him and told him it wasn’t going to work. I said the distance thing and not seeing him often enough was a problem for me.”
“He was very upset and said ‘Don’t do it, what can I do?’. I told him, ‘There is nothing you can do… you are who you are’.
“I am just a normal girl and I know people say, ‘You would have been fine with it’, but I wouldn’t. If I was a celebrity then our relationship probably would have lasted longer.” Junior athlete Megan caught the eye of the 100m world record holder when she was chosen to model Jamaica’s team kit for the Games and appeared on a catwalk with him. “We live at opposite ends of the globe,” she told a friend. “He talked about flying all over the place and there’s me having to go back to Dartford.
“I really liked him, but I only have a set amount of holiday that I can use each year and I’m not going to use it all up going to see Usain Bolt in Jamaica. “A few things crystallized in my head while I was away and when I got back. So after a couple of days I telephoned him to call it off. It was very hard and I was upset too. “In the end he asked if we could still be friends and I said, ‘Of course… you haven’t done anything wrong to me’. I don’t think he was expecting it. “It wasn’t as though it fizzled out. It was just at this present moment in time we are, neither of us, in the right place. “And I told him that it wasn’t right for us to be together right now and that it just wasn’t going to work out between us.”
Now Megan is concentrating on her own Olympic dream, taking inspiration from the boyfriend she had to let go. “I hope to go to Rio in 2016 and do the 800or 1500 metres,” she said. “Perhaps Usain will be there too…”