.

.

I Am Not Sure About Re-Marrying But I Will Love Again – Kate Henshaw

I Am Not Sure About Re-Marrying But I Will Love Again – Kate Henshaw
Kate Henshaw has been a leading light, one of the veterans in Nollywood for a long time and she is still waxing strong. In this interview with ADUNOLA OLADAPO, she speaks on issues bordering on the movie industry, her personal life, among other issues. Excerpts:
Can you tell us about your background and what some people don’t know about you?
Well, I was born on 19 July, 1971, in Calabar, Cross Rivers State, Nigeria. I am the first child in a family of four children. I had my primary and secondary education in Lagos and Calabar respectively, after which I enrolled for remedial studies at the University of Calabar. There I stayed for one year, and proceeded to the School of Medical Laboratory Science, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, from where I eventually bagged a degree in Medical Microbiology.
I later worked briefly at the Bauchi State General Hospital. Forget the fact that some screen stars are proud and snobbish, I am saying here that I have a reputation for being unpretentiously friendly, very humble, industrious, intelligent, and, above all, God-fearing despite my status. You can investigate this.
How then did you get into the movie industry?
I would say it was destined that I would be an actress, because I never thought of it while growing up. I entered the world of acting in 1993, when I auditioned for an acting job in the movie ‘When the Sun Sets’. To prove that God has a hand in my acting career, I was handed a role, which was my very first appearance in a major Nollywood movie. And since then, I think I have lost count now of how many movies I have featured in.
Tell us about the endorsement deals you are into?
At the moment, I am the ‘Face of Onga’ and not long ago, I signed a very lucrative deal worth several millions of naira with Nigeria’s telecommunications giant, Globacom. I have won several awards in the course of my career. In 2008, I won the African Movie Academy Awards for the Best Actress in a leading role I played in the movie Stronger than Pain, among other awards.
What other businesses are you involved in besides acting?
Other than acting, I also direct movies and run a number of other investments, one of which is the Kate Henshaw hairdressing and styling outfit in Liverpool, United Kingdom.
With your 17 years in acting, what are those things that have changed about you?
Oh! A lot has changed; in fact, plenty. I believe in the brand Kate Henshaw. I believe that there is a level I have attained that I shouldn’t deliver less. I shouldn’t just be associated with just anything. It should only be about good works, charities, good causes, doing the right thing in general so that when people see me, they’ll say, ‘If it’s Kate, don’t worry, she only does good things’.
Even scripts (for movies) now, I am very choosy; they have to be of good quality before I take part in them. When I first started, I was looking out for myself; but now the story has changed. I am looking out for others and trying to be an inspiration to everyone I come across. I always tell people that they should try their possible best to go to school. I am glad I went to school. If something adverse happens today, which I don’t even pray for, I have something to fall back on.
I know such wouldn’t happen because I have diversified. I now do MC (Master of Ceremonies), commercials and so many other things. When I started, I never knew I could do these things. When I started acting, I thought it would just be films all the way. But I found out that I can actually make myself more relevant by putting my best in whatever I do.
With the endorsements, businesses here and there, do you still get scripts?
I have two. One is on my computer and one is in the room. I’ve not been able to read, but I think I’ve read one. I don’t understand, I don’t know what they are talking about. Really, I won’t lie, I don’t understand it. Some of these scripts are just meaningless or not real. I think my brand has grown beyond just showcasing in any wish-washy movie. Our producers and writers should put in more to effect quality.
Why do you think low quality films abound?
The people doing them just have to do them. They do anything to keep their heads above the water. I’m just saying let it be good; we have reached that stage where quality, and not just any kind of films, should come out of Nollywood. I’m tired of people condemning our films. I know we can do so much more. I know that talents abound in Nollywood. We just need to spend that little extra time. We need to spend that little bit of extra money, make our sound effects excellent and pay attention to details. You cannot be in a house without your picture hanging on the wall. In Oyinbo films, you see pictures of families, some of babies when they grew up, when they went on holidays, you know? Make it nice, make it believable.
And is that why some of you ‘A-list’ actresses now reject scripts?
Why not? Who will do them? If there’s unrest, everybody will ask for change but if you are settled, everybody is happy. They will not change. Everybody is complaining that they are not seeing the old faces. It’s because we are not satisfied with the quality of the scripts. Majority of them (the writers) are still deceiving themselves. Kunle Afolayan is one person that we respect. We take him as our own. We are all proud of his films. We are all saying ‘so somebody can do this?’ Our producers and writers should just improve.
You seem to be interested in the stage now. What’s the fascination about?
It’s the challenge, not the money. There is no money on stage. If you talk to anybody, they will tell you the stage doesn’t pay. The rehearsals take a lot of work and time. I have come to that stage where I am not saying I have a lot of money and I’m not saying I don’t want more money. I do, but I want to do good works; just good works. I want to do something nice, something much more challenging; something that will challenge the whole of me. I don’t want to get to that stage where I will say ‘oh I have done everything’.
Let’s talk about Eti Keta, a Yoruba movie you featured in. Why did you do it when you can barely speak the language?
Did you watch it? I can speak Yoruba a little and of course, if I can’t speak, they will teach me. I mean I want to learn. I want to be able to speak French, speak German. Hollywood actors that do films… the Americans do British films and learn the accent. I (want) something to challenge me. Show me something new and people will say ‘oh, you think you are good, because you have done this?’ And they throw more at me. I want to try; I want to do it. That’s why. I like challenges.
Tell us about your experience on the set of the movie?
It was splendid. Everyone was fantastic. Aunty Bukki Ajayi was on set with us and Saheed (Balogun), the producer, was fantastic. He’s quite good. Everyone on the set was lovely. They didn’t treat me anyhow. Saheed treated me specially, but when I got on set, I put myself on the scene with everyone because I didn’t want a situation where they would say ‘this Nollywood actor, has come again, let’s see what she is going to do’. If you come with that attitude, you’ll not get any help, especially when you don’t really speak the language 100 per cent. You need help; everyone needs help. I’m not too big, they are not too small. We are all the same.
What inspired your new dreadlocks hairstyle?
It’s not dreadlocks, I keep explaining to people. These are natural twists. On my last birthday, I decided to make a lot of changes in my life. I decided to reclaim my hair because I really had lovely hair growing up, and the first time relaxer ever touched my hair was when I was in the university.
After years of using too much chemical on it, I decided to just make a complete turnaround. Now, my hair is healthy, it’s long, it’s lovely. And I would never let relaxer touch it again. I don’t fix artificial nails again. I’m back to natural nails. I just put on some long-lasting polish. I fixed my nails for over 10 years but I’m tired of it now. I want to be healthy in my old age.
Your divorce came as a shock to a lot of people. Why did you take that decision?
Shock? Have you not heard that Seal and Heidi (Klum) have divorced? Haven’t you seen people who have been married for 20 to 25 years and divorced? I’m not perfect; no one is. We all have our low moments. It doesn’t mean I’m a failure. Everybody goes through bad patches in life. Life must go on, whether we like it or not. It’s always better to part under good circumstances than for someone to be in jail, or die, or to be hurling insults at each other. There is no need for that.
It seems you don’t regret your divorce, because you always have this cheerful look?
It’s God. Looking back at my life, where I came from, I never even thought I would be an actress. I never even thought I would have an opportunity to meet people, to be a role mode. So, it’s not for me to feel self-pity. I’m grateful to God every single day. I choose to be happy. I am a happy person. Someone encouraged me with these words yesterday: ‘Every problem you have will resolve and dissolve’. So, my divorce is not the end of life and my God has given me cheer and joy. That explains why I am always happy and cheerful. No regrets.
Will you remarry?
I am not sure about remarrying but I will love again. I’m a lover, not a fighter. I’m only going to be very choosy. I don’t know about marriage, but, maybe, love.
You’ve kept your daughter away from the limelight. Is this deliberate?
Yes. You want them to kidnap my daughter? When they see her picture, then they will know who she is. I remember somebody sent a card to me through her school and I was so surprised. They just dropped it on her desk and I was wondering how the person knew my daughter attends that school. Should she decide to step into the limelight later on, that would be her call, not mine. I’ve managed to keep her away and I’m sure I’ve done a good job. Now she is not even in the country and it’s better she schools there

0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More